Wareniki!!!

Today I was in the mood to make something yummy that I could share with Miranda later on.
Wareniki it is!!! It's another of my grandmas recipes which is awesome in my opinion.
Wareniki is the Mennonite equivalent to a perogie. Fillings can be anything from cottage cheese, to potato and onion to fruit (like the plum ones I just made)
My favorites have always been Plum. Yum Plum.


Easy recipe, just time consuming.

The Dough is simply 3cups flour 1tsp salt mixed.
Then add your boiled cup of milk, 3 egg whites whisked a bit, and 2 tbsp. oil.
And you mix it all together and form in a ball of dough.
Plums from the freezer...Roll it out quite thin and you are almost there!!
and 2/3 cup sugar + 2tbsp flour mixed. (one tsp. per square 3x3)
Pinch sides and ta da! Now all you gotta do is boil them for 10 min. and of course make the sauce.
It's just not the same without the sauce!

oh and I put some aside for my expecting sister :) Double recipe for this house that's for sure.

The Sauce the sauce. Rue up the 1/2 cup margerine + 2 tbsp. flour in a saucepan.
Add your milk. Dash a salt, dash a sugar and dun dun dun.... killer sauce.
(My mama showed me the sugar salt bit (for fruit ones), but without it is my grandmas original bit :P )

It sounds odd but it's the best. I love them to bits.. well until they are gone. Some call them dessert wareniki or other names but to me they are the best ones of the bunch!

1 comment:

Miranda said...

your expecting sister drools....