Baking Day


Today was Baking Day for Aria. I was planning on making some buns and muffins for Miranda and Tony since baby is on her way shortly, but I am thinking I will have to make more later since they are being eaten too easily right now.
So to start it off, I needed a zweiback recipe (double bun in High German says my recipe book)
It's a huge favorite in my family, and a rarity when I make them so needless to say I need to make more later for Miranda's family.

Anyways, I was searching through my great grandmothers cook book and having a fun time searching. It's the 1960's version of the book and it's great. On the recipe the check means my great grandma tried and liked this version so I thought I would take a chance and try it too.

Worked like a charm, and It was so simple too (as buns go).


I also found another oldie of a cook book in the cupboard and found advertisements like this:


even found some coupons (too bad it expired before I was born) and news paper clippings from 1960 something.
So off I go! One part of the recipe told me to blend.... On automatic I reached for my egg beater.... and I think I could have heard my great grandmother turn in her grave. I thought, no wait, and used my spoons instead.

kneading kneading kneading to my tunes, it was good stuff.

Next. "To Die For Blueberry Muffins" which really are the best ones I've made. As soon as I finished I wanted another one... So bad yet so good!


I will have to post later some of the helpful butchering tips also in the recipe book, as well as recipes for hmmm head cheese, tongue, and sausages (after fixin the intestines of course!) Yikes.
I like the heritage of it though. I wouldn't eat it, but to read the stories of my great great grandparents time is neat. (It brings the geek out of me! :D )

4 comments:

Miranda said...

those buns look great even in an uncooked state. I bet I could make them. ohhh maybe I shall try them sometime although I was thinking of trying to make homemade pasta before baby makes an appearance

Aria said...

the recipe made about 2.5 dozen buns (and you can see the recipe if you zoom in)

also look at the poem of 'the housewife' on the first pic
lol so 60s!

Anonymous said...

Aria Hey Hey the baker is on the move. What a hoot to read the blog and have to chuckle as how you shiver when you read about using intestines for sausages which is what they used back then.
Keep up the good job of baking those yummmmy goodies.I guess Al likes them.:):)
Phil

Fiona said...

I think I trust old cookbooks more than new ones. My mom found a copy at a second hand store of a cookbook my grandma used to have from 1965 and gave it to me, its full of tick marks from someone I dont know, but I might start with those recipes for fun.
Once my friends mom showed us her old home economics textbook from the 60s, it was full of all kinds of useful information, and hillarious bits about how to be a good housewife.